Thursday 8 October 2009

2 challenges in one - HA and 2Sketches4You


Butterfly piecing
Originally uploaded by turleyfamily(Dawn)

This weeks challenge at Hero Arts blog is to do paper piecing. I decided my Heart winged butterfly seemed just the stamp to do this. I used two coordinating patterned papers that I got in a freebie from one of the English magazine I get. I stamped the butterfly twice on card stock, and twice on each of the patterned papers. I them cut out the patterned pieces and stuck them on the plain card. I then cut out the middle hearts from one and layered onto the other to give a bit more dimension. The sketch was from 2sketches4you challenge this week It is a great sketch by Laura. I stamped HA raindrop background on the card using Kaleidocolor Ink ( Autumn Leaves). I didn't have any dark brown ribbon so used a strip of a shiny brown card as a ribbon ( also put it under the punched out edge). I used a Fiskars edge punch to make the scalloped edging. I finished with some lovely pink pearls and a tiny sentiment stamped in Sepia Archival ink. The sentiment is from a Stampin' Up! set.
I also got a few other bits and pieces done today.  I have make a butterfly a bit like this one - I used the papers on the back of a stamped butterfly on acetate - just waiting for it to dry so I can design the card it is to go on and made a lovely book mark which I still have to photograph.

Over the last couple of days I have also made a Halloween card ...I don't have any Halloween stamps but want to sent a Halloween greeting to someone who just loves Halloween, so found this wonderful vintage image here. I printed it out on photo paper and matted in orange cardstock. The lace edging was from my friend Monika and was white. I used Distress Spiced Marmalade to colour it.

I also printed off a card from a site I found that has free gift wrapping with matching cards and tags.  Here it is ,  There are lots of designs.  The card came in the orangey colour - all I had to do was print it out, titivate it a bit with the faux stitching and added the rub-on word Inspire and added a leave cut out on my cuttlebug from a paint sample I had. 

Well thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Suzanne C said...

Lovely fall card. The vintage picture is adorable and makes a wonderful card. My favorite is the butterfly with the pieced pp. The colors are so pretty.

Pajalu said...

You have been very busy Dawn. All your cards are lovely. The butterfly is so bright & cheery, the Halloween card is wonderful as well. I can't wait to see what you do with the acetate butterfly as well. Have a great day tomorrow xoxoxoxo

Vanessa said...

Your cards are so lovely! Love them all! The vintage image is adorable and of course I love the butterfly!!! And your fall card is wonderful, too!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Tiffany Ervin said...

Love them all Dawn!! You have been busy playing so well with your stamps! I especially adore your butterfly card, the colors are so life like, it's beautiful!