Thursday 17 October 2013

Cancer SUCKS!

Life has a way of hitting you in the guts sometimes.  Today I learnt a very dear friend of ours passed away yesterday.  He was only 61 and such a fantastic person.  He had prostrate cancer and despite having it removed late last year and undergoing chemo and radiation, he succumbed to this viscous disease.   This is an day we won't forget as it was hubby's birthday.  

We had been down to visit Mark in April and were dismayed to see how unwell he was.   He lives about 2 1/2 hours south of here.  For weeks we have been saying we really should go visit... but now it's too late.  We will travel down on Saturday to his funeral to say our goodbyes.   

This really has made my day feel sad.  So I came home from work and did what makes me happy.... make some cards.  I did some water colouring as that always makes me feel better.

IMG_7482

I printed the Tiddly Inks image onto some new Tim Holtz water colour paper.  I used a Copic to colour her face and then Derwent Inktense pencils for the rest and then a water downed Gelato for the background.  The red panel on the card was embossed with a Couture Creations Christmas (not that you can see much of it!)  The corner is a La La Land die.  The sentiment was part of the digital image.  I finished with a little poinsettia.  Entering into the challenge at Simon Says Stamp

Thanks for taking the time to visit.  I really do appreciate it.  Take care

Dawn


15 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Dawn I hear your pain - cancer is a $#@*!! and too many people are having to fight it - we have lost some friends to it too this year.
Cute card and your colouring is amazing.
Blessings
Maxine

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Sorry to hear about your friend Dawn. Yes, cancer sucks, took my Father's life before he got a chance to enjoy the four grandchildren who came a few years later. Love the colouring on your card!

sheila said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's passing Dawn. I agree with you.....Cancer sucks the big one! Both my parent's paassed from it at an early age....Your card is precious though and completely understand how watercoloring/coloring can be calming in rough times.

Maureen Morton said...

I couldn't agree more - it touches too many of use in such a harsh way. So sorry for your loss and sadness. So glad that you have your cards to bring a warm heart, and this one sure does. So sweet - love the coloring!

Barb said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend, Dawn - hugs and prayers for you. . . .

Creating really does help when we're sad - your card is adorable!

Brenda said...

Oh Dawn, yes, life sucks some times and as we get on with age it seems to suck even more! I am so sorry that you have had this sad news! I do love your joyful little card though! Wishing for a bright weekend just for you!

CinnamonSally said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Dawn.

I love your pretty card and your water colouring is fabulous!

laurelbeard said...

My condolences for your loss.

A beautiful card.

Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Nancy K said...

I'm so sorry, Dawn. It's always devastating to lose a dear friend. Making cards and being creative is a blessing; I'm glad it lifted your spirits! Your card is so very sweet.
Sending my prayers and thinking of you.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Dawn
I can relate to your feelings, I often think of my neighbour that passed away last year. My sympathies are with you, try to remember him positively and celebrate his life, I am sure he would like that.
Your card-making will heal the pain, but you will never forget the person he was.
Your card is gorgeous.
Smiles:)
Sue

joy said...

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing, Dawn! And, yes, cancer is a terrible disease and so tough on the families, too.

I love your card. The coloring is fabulous, as always and I love this cute image.

Greta said...

So sorry, Dawn. Life is so precious & uncertain, as was brought home to me again recently, too. Love your sweet card. You're in my thoughts.

Dotty Jo said...

Hi Dawn, so sorry to read about your friend. Life just isn't long enough for some. Big hugs, Jo x

Monika Reeck said...

yeaaah your coloring so lovely on her..and nice swirl on the edge..love all red on this card...cute card..

Arlene said...

It's rough to hear about a friend passing. I'm glad you could go for the funeral.

You did a great job on that cute girl. Hang in there.