Sunday 5 January 2014

Playing with Wax

Waxed paper that is....

I'm taking part in a NZ card swap this year and each month we have a technique to use.  January's technique is Wax Resist background.  We had three video samples to check out... including a couple from Gina K
Vintage Focal Image wax resist  and  Wax Paper Background

I had a bit of a play around with some wax paper, some glossy card, plain card, and embossing folder.  My first card is a CASE of Gina's first technique.


For this one, I used plain card stock and stamped the dress form (a free stamp from a magazine) onto it first.  I ran the waxed paper through the Paisley embossing folder and then laid it waxy side down onto the plain card and covered with scrap paper and ironed the sandwich.  This transfers the wax to the card.  I then used a Jenni Bowlin ink (Lemon Drops) and using an ink to paper technique, added the colour and then wiped with a tissue to remove the ink from where the wax was. I cut with a Spellbinders oval die and layered onto a scallop black die.  Die cut a Spellbinders tag and stamped the Hero Arts sentiment.  The background card  was embossed with the Paisley folder.  

The second card used the same folder and waxed paper, but this time I ironed it onto glossy card.  I used a Memento Green ink to swipe over waxed card. 


My waxed paper was more waxy on one side than the other, so when I did both sides of the paper onto glossy card, this one was the better of the two.   I stamped the Kaisercraft stamp in Stazon onto the background.  I then cut it with a Lil' Inkers die that the lovely Isha sent me for Christmas.  I used the cut stitches to make faux stitching with a thin black pen.  I added a Hero Arts sentiment.  I then decided it looked too plain, so added some colour with some Tombow and Marvy markers.

I have three more pieces of glossy card to use up.  One in Peanut Brittle, one in Rhubarb Stalk and one in Lilac colour.  So I'll have a number of cards to choose from to send to my trade partner.

Hope you are all having a great weekend... my holiday finishes today... off to work tomorrow morning.... NOT looking forward to that at all.


4 comments:

judkajudi said...

Dawn, that sounds like a lot of work, but what beautiful results!! Envying your warm weather as our temperatures keep dropping!! it is cold!!

Barb Ghig said...

I am so impressed with the varying results you achieved using your techniques and papers, Dawn! Your cards are absolutely beautiful, and I'll bet they're amazing IRL!

kiwimeskreations said...

Great results Dawn - I have never had them that good - I must try again - thanks for the inspiration. I love that first card, it is a stunner!
Blessings
Maxine

Greta said...

Interesting technique I've never tried. Your cards are beautiful, Dawn! Hope work wasn't too bad--I know what you mean about hard to go back after being off.